Ryron and Rener Gracie answer the 10 most common questions asked by new students prior to their first BJJ class:
1) What’s the difference between jiu-jitsu and every other martial art?
2) What if I don’t have any previous experience?
3) Do I need to be in shape?
4) What should I wear?
5) Do I need to bow or call someone “sensei?”
6) Can I bring a water bottle and where do I store it?
7) Who will I practice with?
8) Will I get injured or embarrassed?
9) Can I bring a friend to class?
10) How will my first go?
With the uncertainty out of the way, no you have no excuse. Take your first jiu-jitsu class, you won’t regret it!
When it comes to where to take your first class, you have 4 options:
1) Find a Certified Training Center at GracieUniversity.com. We can personally vouch for these schools because we’ve personally certified the instructors that own and operate them, the techniques and the friendly culture will mirror what you would find in Torrance. If your intro class at any CTC doesn’t exceed all your expectations, you can choke me for free.
2) Find a local BJJ school that isn’t a CTC. Just make sure you ask questions to make sure they align with your goals (self-defense, sport, fitness, scheduling, etc), and watch a class before you participate. If you’re not impressed, go to number 3, trying a single class at a poorly operated BJJ school could be a disaster.
3) Learn online through http://www.GracieUniversity.com. We have tens of thousands of people who are actively learning jiu-jitsu online, from home! All you need is one dedicated training partner and you can learn for as little as $20/month. If you can’t find a partner, simple check the online GU Student Database to connect with eager students in your neighborhood!
4) If you’re 100% committed and want to get off on the right start, but don’t live near a CTC, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can send an instructor to teach you in your house for up to a week straight to jumpstart your jiu-jitsu journey. Bottom line: if you’re ready, we’ll make it happen!
Jiu-jitsu is for you. Stop thinking about it and take your first class!