When performing strengthening and shoulder health exercises, I wanted to think about what equipment would be most available at Jiu-Jitsu gyms or what equipment can fit in your equipment bag.
Most BJJ practitioners will have their belt and can easily get access to a resistance band, so I felt this would be an ideal variation of this exercise.
This technique is one of my absolute favorites for shoulder health and posture.
You are strengthening the shoulder blade muscles, rotator cuff muscles, while also working on overhead shoulder mobility.
Not only is this a challenging and valuable exercise for shoulder health and injury prevention, it is also an essential training tool for anyone that needs to build proper technique and muscle strength/activation with overhead lifting and tasks. Adjust the resistance as appropriate to ensure proper technique.
1. Start with bracing the core/abdominals.
2. Bring the elbows up to shoulder height.
3. Squeeze the shoulder blades together and perform a high elbow rowing motion.
4. Externally rotate the shoulders (bringing hands up).
5. Maintain this plane of motion and press straight up to the ceiling without allowing hands to migrate forward (Do not shrug the shoulders).
6. Hold overhead position for 1-2 seconds.
7. Return to start position.
8. Perform 10-12 repetitions, 1-2 sets initially and can increase sets/reps as appropriate.
***If you are in the Louisville area and interested in working with me for your recovery or injury-prevention needs then head over to https://mbodilouisville.com or send me a message!
***More videos and exercise tips at https://jiujitsutherapist.com
***Check me out on The Chewjitsu Podcast with my co-host, BJJ Black Belt Nick “Chewy” Albin of www.chewjitsu.net for some great jiu-jitsu conversation and interviews! http://chewjitsu.libsyn.com
***Support the podcast and visit our podcast sponsor “Charlotte’s Web” at www.charlottesweb.com and use the promo code chewjitsu10 to get 10% off of your total CBD and product purchase!
***Check out the knee braces I recommend for BJJ https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Fshareasale.com%2Fr.cfm%3Fb%3D706061%26u%3D1416655%26m%3D58066%26urllink%3D%26afftrack%3D&redir_token=8Lgzsd08IwdEhtgt_HQqjdYACLR8MTU0MjMyNTY2N0AxNTQyMjM5MjY3&v=uDTBbV-9vIc&event=video_description